Two young mathematicians discuss the eating habits of their cats.
- Yo Riley, I was watching my two cats Roxy and Yuri eat their dry cat food last night.
- Cats love food! It’s so weird that they swallow the pieces whole!
- I know! I noticed something else kinda funny though: Both Roxy and
Yuri start and finish eating at the same times; and while I gave Roxy a
little more food than Yuri, less food was left in Roxy’s bowl when they
I wonder, is there is a point in time when Roxy and Yuri have the exact same amount of dry cat food in their bowls?
- Hmmmmm. Do Roxy and Yuri both start and finish drinking their water at the same times? And does Roxy start with a little more water than Yuri, and finish with less water left than Yuri?
- Interesting. I wonder, is there is a point in time when Roxy and Yuri have the exact same amount of water in their bowls?
- They start and finish eating at the same times.
- Roxy starts with more food than Yuri, and leaves less food uneaten than Yuri.
- They start and finish drinking at the same times.
- Roxy starts with more water than Yuri, and leaves less water left in her bowl than Yuri.
On the other hand, if we write the amount of water as a function of time, this function is continuous.