Here are the main points that will be addressed in the videos. Please read these and think about them as you watch.
- The mean value theorem is a statement about when the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a point is equal to the average rate of change of that function on an interval.
- The conditions for the mean value theorem to apply are:
- is defined on the closed interval ,
- is continuous over the closed interval , and
- is differentiable over the open interval
- The mean value theorem says that when the conditions above are satisfied, then there is a number in where